Pistachio and strawberry madeleines are fluffy and buttery in flavor, filled with strawberry jam filling and decorated with tempered chocolate coating. These madeleines are a sea-shell shaped French origin moist sponge cake that will melt in your mouth.
Learn how to make these strawberry filled madeleines in no time. Just grab your pan, ingredients and get to baking right away. They are truly worth it!
Table of Contents
- Pistachio Paste
- Baking Powder
- Strawberry Jam
- Clarified Butter
- Roasted Pistachios
How to Make
Full steps and directions are in the recipe card. This is a quick walk through.
Step One: Clarify the Butter
The first step is to add your butter to a saucepan and heat on low, without stirring. You want it to cook for 10-15 minutes until the solids separate from the fat. Then you will remove from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
Skim off the foam, and pour off the clear yellow liquid leaving behind the milk solids. Then store in an airtight container. Melt as needed.
Step Two: Prepare the Strawberry Jam
Start by adding your prepared strawberries in the saucepan with lemon juice and sugar. Cook on low until it reaches 40-44C.
Next remove from the heat and add in the pectin mixture and whisk as you add it in. Then place back on the heat and bring to a boil.
Boil for a minute then remove and let cool and place in your jars.
Step Three: Make Madeleines
Start by preheating your oven as directed and freeze your madeleine molds for 5 minutes, then brush with the clarified butter.
In a stand mixer you will add in eggs and sugar and use a paddle attachment. Mix until the sugar dissolves.
Add in the lemon juice and baking powder, then slowly work in the flour mixing on low speed.
Add in the pistachio paste, milk and butter. Mix on low to combine and you want the batter to be smooth. Once mixed, refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Pipe the mixture into a mold and then add strawberry jam, and then cover with additional batter. Then top with crushed pistachios.
Bake as directed and then remove from molds once baked.
Step Four: Dip in Tempered Chocolate
Take your tempered chocolate and pour some into each of the molds. You can use melted candy melts or candy wafers. Then place a cooled madeleine on top, and let it cool for 15 minutes. Then remove the chocolate coated cookie from the mold.
Madeleines are a buttery and soft sponge-like cake. You will find that this madeleine has the strawberry jam in the center for added sweetness.
The French enjoy eating madeleines with a warm cup of tea. Which sounds like a perfect pairing. So brew up your favorite tea and serve with the cookies.
The shells were a symbol of St. James and the pilgrims would wear the shell to showcase the symbol for him. So when they started making these cakes the shell shape was what they went for.
Madeira cake is a larger version of a madeleine cookie. You will find that both have a very similar flavor and texture. So feel free to try out the Madeira cake as well.
Print Recipe Here
Pistachio & Strawberry Madeleines
- 115 g flour
- 40 g pistachio paste commercially available
- 4.2 g baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 100 g sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 75 g butter melted
- 30 g milk
- QS crushed roasted pistachios unsalted
- Clarified butter melted, process below.
- 225 g washed pat dried strawberries, cut into small pieces and lightly crushed
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 300 g granulated sugar
- 7 g pectin combined with 35g sugar. This is important or the pectin will clump when
Prepare clarified butter:
- -In a saucepan melt butter over low heat, without stirring, 10-15 minutes or until melted
- and solids separate from fat.
- -Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes.
- -Skim off foam.
- -Slowly pour off clear yellow liquid, leaving behind the residue of milk solids that has settled to bottom of pan.
- -Store in airtight container, melt as needed.
- Combine strawberries, lemon juice and sugar in a saucepan. Cook in low heat
- until the temperature reaches 40-44C.
- – Remove from the heat and slowly add the pectin-sugar mixture while whisking.
- – Once the pectin is incorporated, place back in the heat, bring to a boil.
- – Boil for 1min, remove from the heat
- – Let cool and place in jars.
Prepare the madeleines:
- – Pre heat oven to 350F.
- – Place madeleine molds in the freezer for 5 min, then brush with clarified butter, repeat the process.
- – Using the stand mixer, mix eggs and sugar on medium using a paddle attachment until sugar dissolves.
- – Add lemon zest, baking powder and slowly add the flour in a few times. Mix on low speed until smooth.
- – Add pistachio paste, milk and melted butter, mix on low until combined and smooth.
- – Place the bowl in the fridge for 30min.
- – Pipe on prepared molds halfway through, add strawberry jam and cover with additional batter. Add crushed pistachios.
- – Bake at 350F for 12-15min, until golden brown. Remove from the mold
- – Add tempered chocolate (or candy melts) into the mold, place cooled madeleine on top, let the chocolate set for 15min and put in the freezer for 5 min before removing from the mold.